Re: Preliminary Feedback on GLD ORG

Hi Eric,

On 17/02/13 23:12, Eric Stephan wrote:
> Hi Dave and team,
>
> I've taken a first pass at the organization ontology and thought I'd
> share some preliminary feedback.

Thanks.

> 1.1 Example
>
> The government example looks sound and gives the reader a clear
> understanding about how org can be used.  To show relevance in the
> virtual world and to pardon the expression “eating out own dog food”
> should we also offer another example or examples in the appendix that
> shows how our GLD working group  is represented as a W3C organization?

I've mixed feelings on that. I wouldn't want to accidentally convey an
impression of inward focus.

If someone wanted to develop such an example we could put it up on the
GLD web site and reference it as part of the implementation report but
not necessarily put it in the spec document.

> 2.4 Organizational History (non-normative)
>
> Could this section be more formalized?  It seems like there is a
> tremendous opportunity to discuss discrete relationships between OPMV
> and PROV-O. A case in point is the:
>        * Org:Organization, Prov:Organization, OPMV:Agent, are they
> equivalent or the same-as?
>        Also consider:
>        * Foaf:Agent, Prov:Agent, OPMV:Agent

You've lost me here.

This is a non-normative section, the formalization is in the subClassOf
and subPropertyOf relations given in the normative ontology section
(plus the chain axiom).

OPMV has essentially been superseded by PROV-O, ORG used to link to
OMPV, now it links to PROV-O and there's no OPMV terms mentioned in the
ontology.

It is not for us to state any normative relationship between PROV-O and
OPMV. We only mention that in this non-normative section in order to
informally reassure existing ORG users that the change was harmless.

Similarly, while I hope that prov:Agent is equivalent class of
foaf:Agent it is not for us to state that. I personally wish PROV would
state that, rather than leave it implied by examples, or better still
just have used foaf:Person etc in the first place.

Regarding org:Organization/prov:Organization (!) then that's a good
point. I assume that prov:Organization is equivalent to org:Organization
but you are right that ought to be stated if true, needs to be validate
that with the PROV WG.

I'll take an action to do that.

> 5.4 Location
>
> 5.4.1 Class: Site
>
> A virtual location could be an IRI(s) for a source forge or google project.

True, could point that out.

> 5.6 Historical information
>
> 5.6.1 Class: ChangeEvent
>
> Constraining “Change Event” to the historical information seems to
> limiting. http://www.w3.org/2006/time# interval may be more
> appropriate for certain events.  For instance, have future events been
> considered?    An example is the expected finish date of the W3C GLD
> working group or the planned start date of another work group.

That's not covered by either ORG or PROV-O. In principle you could
certainly have a change event that hadn't happened yet. If PROV-O made
use of the Time ontology that you could use that to talk about ordering
of time intervals. However, none of them provide any notion of "expected
date". Sounds like something for a future vocabularies working group
unless there's something in schema.org which addresses that.

Dave