Re: Discovering and presenting QB observations

On 07/12/13 17:01, Sarven Capadisli wrote:
> On 12/07/2013 04:25 PM, Dave Reynolds wrote:
>> [Not sure this is the best place to ask since most QB implementors are
>> not in the WG but ...]
>
> True that. Just wanted to get a quick feel from a few that's still
> keeping an eye on the mailing list and wanted to chime in. :)
>
>> On 07/12/13 11:36, Sarven Capadisli wrote:
>>> How does your application consume and/or view QB observations?
>>
>> View as graphs, interactive tables, in-line numeric presentations,
>> traffic-light widgets, dial-widgets, symbolic summaries - all sorts.
>>
>> Accessed via Linked Data API to slices and observations, via custom data
>> cube specific APIs, via general SPARQL, via link following via bulk
>> download of compressed Turtle - all sorts.
>>
>> [We've quite a lot of QB applications :) and pretty much any access
>> approach will have come up at least once.]
>>
>> Contrary to the earlier discussion we do link to specific observations,
>> this is a key value of the approach for *some* of our applications. For
>> example, for the Bathing Water quality data then the human readable
>> pages such as [1] make claims about the quality of water at particular
>> places at particular times. These claims are linked to the individual
>> observations. For example click on the "Lastest weekly in-season" title
>> on the table takes you to [2]. From this observation you can get to the
>> overall dataset and there's also a dct:source link to the specific line
>> in the specific incremental CSV data file which was used to generate the
>> linked data in the first place. This provenance traceback is one of the
>> values of the linked data approach in this particular case.
>>
>> Of course there are also graphical presentation of subsets of particular
>> slices [3]. Not everything is at a per-observation level.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> [1]
>> http://environment.data.gov.uk/bwq/explorer/info.html?site=ukk1202-36000
>> [2]
>> http://environment.data.gov.uk/doc/bathing-water-quality/in-season/bathing-water/ukk1202-36000/latest
>>

>> [3]
>> http://environment.data.gov.uk/bwq/explorer/sample-data.html?site=ukk1202-36000
>>

> Thanks for sharing! Nice use of latest.
>
> If I understand you correctly, via slices, linking to individual
> observations is necessary, and one can still make their way to the whole
> dataset.
>
> What I fear is dealing with insane number of slices and observations
> point from a dataset. I suppose caching or paginating are some ways to
> remedy the problem.

Sure, not saying that linked data following is the right want to handle
cubes in general. I'd recommend cube-specific APIs with support for
pagination and/or bulk download guided by void for routine use. But the
ability to tie data presentations back to individual observations that
dereference can be useful. Especially in a case like this where
observations can be revised (so you can see if the data point replaced a
prior publication or has itself been replaced).

> Aside: I couldn't get much out of
> http://environment.data.gov.uk/data/bathing-water-quality/LatestSampleSlice

Not sure where that link came from. The Class is in /def rather than /data:

http://environment.data.gov.uk/def/bathing-water-quality/LatestSampleSlice

The slice itself is:

http://environment.data.gov.uk/data/bathing-water-quality/in-season/slice/latest

> or http://environment.data.gov.uk/id/bathing-water/ukk1202-3600