Overlap between DCAT and ADMS (was: Re: ADMS spec document update)

Hi Gofran, hi Phil,

I think the fundamental problem here is that we have two specs that have a large overlap in scope, but neither is a subset of the other, and *probably* neither can be easily extended to cover the other without losing its focus.

What is the overlap between both?

Phil developed RADion in an attempt to “factor out” the overlap of both specs: repositories, assets, distributions. But I think that RADion fails to get to the essence of the overlap. It may be correct on the repositories and assets, but fails with the distributions, or at least has a conception of distribution that isn't sufficiently generic to properly cover DCAT.

I think the overlap of DCAT and ADMS is that both are catalogs of metadata records designed for finding “assets” of some kind. They differ, however, in the kind of assets that are listed in the catalog, although there is overlap.

Since the kinds of assets are different, there's a lot of difference in the metadata that is required to adequately describe them, and in the additional secondary concepts related to the asset, and in the relationships that need to be recorded between assets, and in the means of accessing the assets.

I'm not suggesting any particular course of action as a result of this observation. We should closely study the overlap between DCAT's Catalog, Dataset, and CatalogRecord on the one hand, and ADMS' Repository and Asset on the other hand, and also study their relationships to things already out there.

The more I think about it, the more I get worried that we're in the process of not just reinventing the wheel, but reinventing it twice, in parallel.

Best,
Richard