RE: Welcoming Makx

Hi all,

Thanks to Phil for the quick introduction.

I've been following you're the work of the GLD group for a while and am
happy to contribute as a member.

As Phil says, I have been involved with metadata for a long time,
basically all my professional career. I started out as a programmer for
library automation systems, building an application for descriptions of
authors that could be referenced from bibliographic records (long before
URIs were invented), then helped build distributed services between
libraries and library cooperatives (academic libraries in the
Netherlands, international links to OCLC, RLG, British Library, Library
of Congress, National Libraries in France and Germany) and was involved
in the specification and early implementation of Z39.50.

I worked for the European Commission in Luxemburg in the late nineties,
supporting the Programme Telematics for Libraries, before my move to the
Dublin Core Metadata Initiative where I was the managing director from
2001 to 2011. In that period I was also involved in various activities
in eGovernment for the European Commission, the European Committee for
Standardization CEN, and government programmes in Denmark and the
Netherlands.

Since mid-2011, I have been involved with the European Commission's ISA
programme, working with PwC Belgium and W3C on Action 1.1 (Improving
semantic interoperability in European eGovernment systems). I was the
editor of ADMS which was developed by a working group with 54 members
including representatives of many EU Member States and several invited
experts. (A list of the working group members is in the resulting ADMS
specification that can be downloaded from
http://joinup.ec.europa.eu/asset/adms/release/100).

I am also very much interested in the other work of the GLD group, DCAT,
DataCube, organisations and people (the last one feels like going back
to where I started) and hope to be able to contribute my two eurocents
to the work of the group.

Makx.