Re: Question about FPWDs

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 15:41 -0500, Bernadette Hyland wrote:
> Hi Tina,
> Thanks for your questions.  I'll do my best to answer and Sandro may
> add more ....

A few more details inline below....

> We are planning to release 5 FPWD's in the coming week or two:
> * Best Practices
> * Data Cube Vocabulary
> * DCAT
> * Organization Ontology
> * People Vocabulary
>

> The chairs are responsible for sending to our group lead to get
> approval before publicly announcing for review/comment.  We'll send
> the URLs for the published docs. There is process that I understand
> having looked at several other WGs.
>

> Once approved, the chairs notify the public list.  There will be a
> list that people outside the group can submit comments about the
> drafts and that will be sent with the announcement.
>

> We expect there to be a lot of action in the month of March 2012,
> followed by months of review.  There is a lot of interest in all of
> these FPWDs, both inside gov't and industry, so we feel pressure to
> get a good quality product out for review ASAP.
>

> Thanks again for your questions.  I hope that helps.
>

> Cheers,
> Bernadette Hyland
>

> On Feb 27, 2012, at 10:28 AM, Gheen, Tina wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > I have a few newbie questions for you about the FPWDs we will be
> > releasing. I'd like to distribute information about the drafts when
> > they are ready, but I'm not sure how the process works. I gathered
> > from our recent telecons, that once we agree to make the drafts
> > public, they are submitted to the W3C who will assign URLs for the
> > drafts. Correct? So my questions:
> >
> > ·         How many drafts are we planning to release in the next
> > week or two? I thought there were four, but I think I've only seen
> > drafts of two on the listserv (Data Cube and Org Ontology).
> > ·         How long does it usually take to have URLs assigned by
> > W3C?

As mentioned in my email of a few minutes ago, we'll figure out the URLs
in advance of the actual publication.    Once the group has reviewed the
drafts, resolved to publish them, and a few more procedural and clerical
steps are taken, then W3C staff will "publish" the documents, which
means: making them available at those permanent URLs, listing them on
www.w3.org/TR, and announcing them on the w3.org front page.    That
begins the first public review period.    Then we make some
improvements, publish again, get more reviews, repeating, until they're
stable and become as W3C Recommendations.