RE: Referencing FOAF

Makx et al,

This issue is one that is near and dear to my heart, so I want to weigh in.  I think the only option that makes sense is #1 for the following reasons:

1)      Trying to establish some authority or process for declaring "good" vocabularies is a non-starter.  One person's  "good" won't be everyone's, and there are always going to be quirky local reasons for choosing one vocabulary over another.  An example from my business (national statistical office)  is industrial classification systems.  These are vocabularies in the GLD sense, and there are many of them, including ISIC (International System for Industrial Classification).  A determination that ISIC should be used for all applications where an industrial classification is required would ignore the special needs of regional and national systems geared towards the specifics of those economies.  Same with declaring any one of the regional systems "good".  So declaring "good" is problematic.

2)      When a vocabulary is referenced or used, mostly it is with the concepts in that vocabulary defined at the time of use.  But, for any popular vocabulary, over time changes will be made.  Concepts are redefined, split, or combined.  New concepts are incorporated.  But, none of those changes should invalidate the use that was made before the changes.

3)      It is rare that no existing vocabularies will suffice for the needs for some problem, meaning creating one's own vocabulary is rarely needed

If we were to recommend the creation of a catalog of vocabularies, this I believe would solve many of the problems described below.  First, any time-stamped vocabulary could be registered, rendering the problem of updates moot.  Second, a catalog will support discovery, and the problem of knowing which vocabulary to use and whether there are any relevant possibilities will be much easier to solve.  The use of a catalog will substantially reduce or eliminate the risk that vocabularies will be over-written and invalidate data.  Third, the issue of conceptual overlap among  similar concepts across vocabularies can be recorded, enabling developers to map across vocabularies and provide deeper semantic links across data.

I submitted 3 documents early in the GLD process that address these issues.  I updated the available versions, and they are located at

1)      http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/File:Open_Government_Vocabualries_-_Registration_Procedure_v03.doc

2)      http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/File:Open_Government_Vocabualries_-_Content_Model_v02.doc

3)      http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/File:Open_Government_Vocabualries_-_Registration_Model_v04.doc

The first and third documents are especially relevant for this discussion.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to join the call on Thursday, but I can join during January (3rd or 10th).

Yours,
Dan