Re: dcat:Distribution and subclasses

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:38:31 +0000
Cc: public-gld-wg@w3.org
To: Martin Alvarez-Espinar <martin.alvarez@fundacionctic.org>
Martin,

Apologies for not replying to this in a timely manner :-(

On 9 Nov 2011, at 18:32, Martin Alvarez-Espinar wrote:
> I'm implementing a use case of dcat with almost all the features
> includes in the reference [1]. I have a doubt about the subclasses of
> dcat:Distribution (WebService, Download, and Feed). I know the
> difference among them, but I'm not sure about how to consider this
> particular example:
>
> A XML static file is undoubtedly a a dcat:Download.

Yes.

> But what about if
> the same XML document was served from WebService?

If you're just talking about the back-end that serves the file, then it really doesn't matter. As long as I can put the URL into my web browser and the result is that an XML file is downloaded, then it's a dcat:Download. (I think that pasting the URL into your browser address bar can be considered the definitive test for something being a download.)

If the file is coming out of a SOAP web service, or requires some other kind of elaborate API call with parameters or POST requests, then it's a dcat:WebService.

Hope that helps,
Richard