Re: Question regarding the Organization Ontology

It is important to be able to talk about a post which is vacant.

You potentially need to be able to talk about an individual, a post
within the organisation and their membership of that post. This becomes
very useful when you want to distinguish relationships and responsibilities.

For example; "Post 120" supervises "Post 121". However things like
committee memberships are actually attached to your membership of the
orgainsation... if person X is on a committee and then retires and
person Y is appointed to her post, it does not automatically make Y a
member of the committee, other committee memberships may be explicitly
for people with certain posts.

Finally you have relationships to or between individuals themselves,
however these will generally be out of the scope about what an
organisation cares about.

One area this has mattered for me is in producing linked data from a
conference. http://programme.ecs.soton.ac.uk/ -- I ended up inventing an
"Affiliation" class as I needed to represent the same person speaking in
two different sessions and with a different affiliation. One talk was
about his work, the second about a hobby project or somesuch. It
mattered to represent which "hat" he was wearing.

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cjg

University of Southampton Open Data Service: http://data.southampton.ac.uk/
You should read the ECS Web Team blog: http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/

Would you recommend the software you use to another institution?
http://uni-software.ideascale.com/