Re: Is there an ISO 8601 based alternative to accrualPeriodicity in DCAT?

Hi Philip,

On 10 Jun 2014, at 17:18, Philip Ashlock - XI <philip.ashlock@gsa.gov> wrote:
> So are you saying an 8601 formatted recurring date would fit within the range of dctype:Frequency but only if it didn't include a start or end date?

I’m concluding this simply from the description of dctype:Frequency: “A rate at which something recurs.” Something like “Monthly” is a “rate”. Something like “On the 27th of July, August and September 2014” isn’t, strictly speaking.

> The requirement is both to express other frequencies than cld:Frequency as well as more precise times.

I see.

Let me put it this way.

Nobody can stop you from using any value you’d like with dcterms:accrualPeriodicity. The interesting question though is if you will see interoperability.

There’s a good chance that another DCAT user who understands accrualPeriodicity would understand the cld:Frequency values, because they are sort of the obvious values to use with these properties.

The chance that they would understand the ISO 8601 values would be lower. If those ISO 8601 values include not just a frequency but also a start and/or end date, then they might even be confused, because that’s not what you’d expect from reading the description of accrualPeriodicity and dcterms:Frequency.

Therefore, in that case, it’s probably best to use a different property. You might have to define that property yourself if nothing suitable exists out there.

Best,
Richard