Re: DCAT comments - dataset dependecy - http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-vocab-dcat-20130801/

Further comments inline….

On 30 Oct 2013, at 17:46, Johan De Smedt <johan.de-smedt@tenforce.com> wrote:

> Hi Fadi,
>
> In-line I deleted what is ok for me and answerer on some of your questions
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Johan De Smedt

I was referring to different "distributions" while you mentioned "multiple further unrelated data sets".  based on the example you provided below, I gather you meant multiple distributions.

> Lets' take EU CELLAR which it actually provides examples for as well d.1 as d.2
> The -d.1- case (multiple download URL)
> - There is only 1 dataset with multiple format and language combinations, each distribution may have a different URL per language.
> GET http://publications.europa.eu/resource/oj/JOC_2006_331_R_0026_06.DEU
> - with: Accept=application/xml; notice=branch
> GET http://publications.europa.eu/resource/oj/JOC_2006_331_R_0026_06.ENG
> - with: Accept=application/xml; notice=branch
> For DCAT, different dataset are required as the distribution in DCAT does not provide for detailing the language covered by that distribution.
> Alternatively in DCAT,
> - either 1  dataset is registered with 1 distribution, no downloadURL, an accessURL
>  requiring EU CELLAR to make additional landing pages to solve this ambiguity in DCAT.
> - either 2 datasets are registered (one per language) - this would bring it to 20+ datasets as there are over 20 languages supported
> The -d.2- case (1 download URL)
> GET http://publications.europa.eu/resource/oj/JOC_2006_331_R_0026_06
> - with: Accept=application/xml; notice=branch
> gives a different result with either of the following:
> - Accept-Language=en
> - Accept-Language=de
> The suggested usage note would cover this case without any change to DCAT or the dataset publisher.
>
> On usage of content negotiation with HTTP header, see also:
> - http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec12.html
> - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2295.txt
> Would DCAT be more clear if these are added as a reference - complying with the usage note I suggest to add?

IMHO, the right way to model this is by separate distributions of a single dataset. As you mentioned, language can be described only
on the dataset level of DCAT. I suggest having multiple values on the dataset level for the language and specifying the specific language of each distribution.

Example:
:ds1 dct:language lng:en,  lng:de;
         dcat:distribution :dist1, :dist2.
:dist1 a dcat:Distribution;
           dct:language lng:en;
          dcat:accessURL <url-en> .
:dist2 a dcat:Distribution;
           dct:language lng:de;
          dcat:accessURL <url-de> .

This modelling is equivalent  to the text "this dataset is available in English and Deutsch. It can be accessed via dist1 which is in English or via dist2 which is in Deutsch"

If that makes sense to you and to others, I can add the required clarification text to indicate how to handle multi-language datasets.

Many thanks!

- Fadi