Re: [DCAT] accessURLs vs downloadURLs

On 14 Nov 2013, at 13:41, Fadi Maali <fadi.maali@deri.org> wrote:

> The more common case is to have downloadURL pointing to the entire dataset. If this is not the case, then I'd say yes you can use multiple downloadURL.
> Different formats go in different instances of dcat:Distribution this instance have its format described using dct:format or dcat:mediaType

You’re right. What I said above didn’t make sense.

> The domain of these properties were not defined in the ontology because they can be of more use outside the scope of DCAT. e.g. one might want to use dcat:theme and dcat:keyword without imposing that the subject is of type dcat:Dataset.

The definition of dcat:theme is: “The main category of the dataset.”

Using the property on something that definitely isn’t a dcat:Dataset would be an error.

Same for dcat:keyword.

For an example where what you’re trying to do was done well, see SKOS:
http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#L1541

But I’m not sure that this is a good idea. If something doesn’t fit the DCAT model of catalog-dataset-distribution, then I think one shouldn’t use DCAT. DCAT isn’t a general-purpose vocabulary for tagging resources or for describing byte streams. The catalog-dataset-distribution model is sufficiently flexible to fit many use cases, but why would one want to use a handful of DCAT properties outside of use cases that fit the model?

Best,
Richard