RE: DCAT comments - dataset dependecy - http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-vocab-dcat-20130801/

Hi Fadi,

Thanks to follow up.

The suggested PAV and PROV-O and ADMS are very interesting but I could find the relationships I am looking for.

Thanks though for providing the references.

Focusing DCAT on the pure catalog functionality is a pragmatic objective, critical for the success of the DCAT proposal.

I have been looking for alternatives for the two requests I have made [1] (in subject) and [2].

A) For dataset dependency [1] the example use cases are the following:

-1- From the dataset catalog I find EU publications (e.g. EU legislation).

  This legislation is tagged with concepts from the EUROVOC category (but also from several other Named Authority Lists).

  The tagging typically includes a URI identifying the SKOS Concept used for the tagging.

  An application can fetch all the details of such a concept to identify the relevant concept scheme (using skos:inScheme) and then the concept scheme can be found.

  Humans can exchange information about such dependencies.

  Application can do so as well.  The question is which vocabulary to use to declare such dependencies.

  a)  PROV-O, PAV or ADMS do not provide this.  (sorry if I missed these)

  b) VoID has some definitions as suggested in [1] (and [2]) but the status and general acceptance/usage of this vocabulary is not clear to me

  Dublin Core has some potential properties dct:requires <http://dublincore.org/documents/2012/06/14/dcmi-terms/#terms-requires>  (and dct:isRequiredBy <http://dublincore.org/documents/2012/06/14/dcmi-terms/#terms-isRequiredBy> ) or dct:hasPart <http://dublincore.org/documents/2012/06/14/dcmi-terms/#terms-hasPart>  (and dct:isPartOf <http://dublincore.org/documents/2012/06/14/dcmi-terms/#terms-isPartOf> )

  (I am validating if for this use case, dct:requires is the best fit.)

-2- From the same dataset catalog I find (according FRBR <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_Requirements_for_Bibliographic_Records> ) I find metadata about digital objects such as “work”

  The described digital objects are further detailed going down a hierarchy of expression and manifestation.

  As in the previous use case, an application may retrieve the ‘work’ data set and then look for the specializations (expression and recursively manifestation).

  In addition to the Dublin Core suggestion form the use case -1- above, it may be an alternative to include in a ‘work’ dataset all the expression and manifestation metadata.

B) For the schema description (i.e. [2] - the formal specification of syntax or semantics going with a data set), I did not find an alternative yet that is better than void:vocabulary.

Such a property is useful (like but complementary to dcat:mediaType or dct:format) to know if an application can actual process the information referenced by the DCAT.

Example use case:

-1- The EU publication has it’s own owl schema.  applications not knowing this schema will have difficulty to process the data.

  Having the schema:

  i) published

  ii) referenced in the dcat:Distribution of a data set published complying to that schema

  would allow for an application to select the correct data set manifestation to be able to process or render the information.

-2- Eurostat statiscal information may be published using XML, RDF/XML, csv, html

  Especially when XML or RDF/XML is used it seems relevant to know which XML or OWL schema is used to know if the data can be processed.

Thanks for further advice or references.

[1]  DCAT comments - dataset dependecy - http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-vocab-dcat-20130801/ <http://www.w3.org/mid/005901ce92bb$5b4f0cd0$11ed2670$@tenforce.com;list=public-gld-comments>

[2]  DCAT comments - dataset schema information - http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-vocab-dcat-20130801 <http://www.w3.org/mid/005001ce92b9$c61568e0$52403aa0$@tenforce.com;list=public-gld-comments>

Kind Regards,

Johan De Smedt