Re: Re: EuroCRIS comments to the Last Call Working Draft of the Data Catalog Vocabulary (DCAT)

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your comments on the euroCRIS contribution.

Great that you like the idea of a license associated also with an
individual dataset.

It is worth briefly clarifying a couple of points in the euroCRIS
contribution to avoid any chance of ambiguity:

1. The euroCRIS suggestion is to have separate classes to represent
Person and Organisation instead of an umbrella Agent class - it is not
against using foaf:Person and foaf:Organization for this purpose. While
one might note that the relevant FOAF classes are somehow more "loosely"
defined than needed for DCAT and semantically they might not be a
perfect fit (in FOAF Person has a very wide meaning beyond real persons,
Organization has also a loosely defined scope including fields like
gender, etc.) it would be probably fine to use them in DCAT if the group
supports that, given their popularity in other LOD implementations - no
really strong views from euroCRIS about that.

2. The euroCRIS contribution is not intended as an extension proposal
but as points and suggestions for the DCAT core specification that mean
to contribute to DCAT being indeed achievable, tight, clear and easy to
interpret.

Best regards,
Nikos Houssos, Ph.D.
National Documentation Centre, Greece