Re: EuroCRIS comments to the Last Call Working Draft of the Data Catalog Vocabulary (DCAT)

a polite -1 for defining classes for Person and Organisation when foaf:
already defines these very clearly.

The suggestions section sounds like a very useful *extension* but not
part of the core and will muddy what's currently a nice tight(ish)
looking specification.

What's important is that dcat is something achievable and reasonably
easy to get right and interpret. There's no reason that the CERIF world
can't invent a vast number of extensions to it, but these should not be
part of the core specification.

The idea of a license on the metadata record (separate to the catalogue
or dataset or distribution) makes total sense. If & when DCAT takes off
there will be aggregated catalogues with records with different
licenses, but this should be no more tricksy than a dcterms:license
applied to a dcat:CatalogRecord.

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cjg

University of Southampton Open Data Service: http://data.southampton.ac.uk/
You should read the ECS Web Team blog: http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/

Would you recommend the software you use to another institution?
http://uni-software.ideascale.com/