Re: The RDF Data Cube Vocabulary - W3C Working Draft 12 March 2013

Hi Dave,

Overall: yes the comments are editorial and aimed at helping newcomers such myself grasp the concept. All your comments I don't address specifically are fine and make sense.

To ease understanding, the most effective change I suggest is moving the part of section 7 without sub-heading forward.

Furthermore:

>>  * I'd recommend avoiding the term "non-statistical data" as I have
>>    /only/ heard it in the context of official statistics. Or what
>>    exactly makes data statistical? (see e.g. section 5.1)
>
> Will look at rephrasing.
>
> [Though it seems to me that some of the things for which Data Cube has been used (environmental and other sensor measures, weather forecasts, local authority payment records, company accounts) are pretty clearly not statistical data sets whether or not you can define what a statistical data set is :)]

I believe weather forecasts, for example, rely heavily on statistics. Having said that, if you argue that "non-statistical" is understood by the majority of users I have no further concerns.

>>  * 2.3 Audience: expand with examples?
>
> Examples of what?

I was again thinking of the SMX User Guide 2.1, but you answered that already.

>>  * The slice example is good, but could do with a shorter sentence.
>
> Specifically which is the sentence that needs to be shortened?

"For example, given a data set on regional performance indicators then we might group all the observations about a given indicator and a given region into a slice, each slice would then represent a time series of observed values." It sounds simple now, but I do remember that I had to read it more than once the first time to get the meaning. I don't have a better suggestion at the moment, so up to you.

>>  * For practical use example 5.3 is unwieldy; the long format is
>>    arguably more common. [1] What we see here is I'd refer to as a
>>    *data* *table *not dataset. Most statistical programs only read data
>>    in tabular format.
>
> […]
>
> [Off topic: I'm told by my nearest friendly statistician that Stata is particularly good at converting between long and wide formats and that arguably the terminology of "long/wide" originated there.]

You may be spot on re Stata. Again, this was a comment from a practitioner's perspective, so the example may be perfectly suited for explaining DC.

Hope that helps,
Ulrich