Re: DCAT: Describing APIs

Stuart and Vasily's points ring true, however, DCAT's primary scope is
to make different catalogs interoperable, comparable and tractable  with
respect to each other, not to enable machine consumption of data within
datasets.

Describing APIs would require the deployment of serious extensions to
the existing schema. It would have to cater for the majority of
different types of endpoints, APIs etc. which would make it rather
unrealistic to expect to be able to describe every arbitrary/custom API
out there (not just the usual stuff).

Moreover, it would discourage people from using DCAT if they have custom
distribution methods or any kind of access method that is for some
reason more complex. Processes like automated machine access would only
work in some, but not all cases, thus making the whole approach
inconsistent.

However I would like to express this concern: things get a bit more
complicated semantically because of the dcat:downloadURL property,
because this provides an unambiguous access method description when the
dataset is downloadable (i.e. the dataset can be downloaded from the
specified URL). Doesn't this make DCAT biased on the accessibility of
downloadable resources?

In any case, I do believe that DCAT should provide a means to link a
particular dcat:Distribution to an external concept that describes its
access rules and methods, in a similar way that ORG uses
org:classification to link organizations to external classification
schemata, taxonomies etc.

Kind regards,
Marios Meimaris
Research Associate, NTUA