RE: Feedback on Ingredients for High Quality Linked Data section of Linked Data Cookbook

Dear Charles, Dear David,

Thanks for your messages and your exciting thoughts about making the RDF
Data Cube vocabulary (QB), XBRL, and CWM interoperable.

> What I believe would be a good thing is if your data cube, XBRL's data
cube,
> and the CWM data cube were 100% semantically interoperable.
I would agree. But there is probably some alignment work to do: For
instance, when translating XBRL into QB [1] we had difficulties in
retrieving all linkbase information from the filings and taxonomies (e.g.,
concept hierarchies and calculation arcs) and representing them in RDF.
Also, I am aware of the CWM multidimensional model and would be interested
in how it can be extended for sharing multidimensional data.

> other data stores and metadata to XBRL.  I'm cc'ing Herm Fischer, who is a
> key person in our current effort to raise the level of abstraction at
which
> XBRL report design and creation operates, and who is doing some
> prototyping around the use of linked data with XBRL.
Since we have been working on using XBRL with Linked Data [1], I would be
happy to give feedback on your prototypes.

> Formula).  Business rules provides important functionality to the sorts of
> things XBRL does with financial reporting (making sure the information is
> correct) and I believe that this same functionality is necessary for
quality
> business reporting of any kind; financial, nonfinancial, government,
> industry, anything.
Regarding business rules, we are considering refining QB to more formally
define relationships between data cubes (e.g., aggregations), which may help
to represent more complex formulae or business rules using QB data.

> The question is how to put all these things together?
One way to start this effort would be to define a use case around XBRL, QB
and possibly CWM, which could help to derive requirements for them to become
interoperable. Some proposed use cases for QB are available at [2]. Their
technical detail varies, but in general they should give an overview of what
QB (e.g., together with XBRL, CWM) may allow to do.

Best,

Benedikt

[1] <http://xbrl.us/research/appdev/pages/275.aspx#>
[2] <http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Data_Cube_Vocabulary/Use_Cases>

--
AIFB, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Phone: +49 721 608-47946