Re: things often done in geometrical applications

On Jun 29, 2013, at 5:06 AM, David Dailey wrote:
> Hi Doug, all,

Hi Doug, David, et al.

Thanks for making this list, I was thinking about this earlier this morning as well so I will add to it if you don’t mind.

> Here’s just a quick list of things that come to mind that one might often wish to do
>
> Intersecting things, as per Kevin Lindsay’s work (wasn’t some of this already in SVG 1.2?):
>                 Lines, circles, ellipses, bezier (c and q) all with one another

Also paths and polylines intersecting with themselves (which gets trickier when you take the width of the stroke into account)

> (…)
> Given n points
>                 Find a polygon passing through them
>                 Produce a Voronoi diagram

And a Delaunay triangulation :)

> Produce random
>
>                 N-gon
>                 Smooth Bezier curves that pass through N control points and preserve continuous first derivatives
>                 Tessellations (polygonal, or rectangular – think HTML tables with colspan and rowspan)

Also regular polygons with N sides inscribed in a circle (with an orientation.)

One thing that I would be really interested in variable-width stokes as well.

Julien