Re: https://what3words.com/

+public-geolocation@w3.org (I think you dropped the group unintentionally)

Thanks for those resources. I wasn't aware of the other two projects.

On 20 January 2016 at 14:26, Vijay Datadin <vijay@redspider.biz> wrote:

> Hello Adrian, All,
>

> I know of it and think that it suffers from the fact that it is not
> systematic as an addressing scheme. You can’t tell that two locations are
> near to each other just by looking at their What3Words addresses, like you
> can judge with Latitude/ Longitude or Postcodes.

w3w is not intended to provide context it solves a specific problem:
Providing an easy to remember and express address.

If I am trying to tell my friend over the phone where I am in a large park
or give my location to emergency services over a radio w3w addresses win.

> It can only be used with an app and when your battery dies so does your
> ability to orient yourself.

You are correct but as far as I can tell the data and SDKs to integrate
this into apps or services is free and open.
I think it's a mistake to assume this system can't live alongside systems
like lat/long or other algorithmic systems like OLC.

There are use cases where expressing a location in a w3w form is approriate
and others where co-ordinates or other codes may be better.

This is a digital world so discrediting a system that only work digitally
seems unfair. Is there an easy way to calculate an Open Location Code on
paper?

One could make the same argument for digital/mobile payments. When your
phone dies you lose your ability to pay for things.
In that case it's time to get out your old plastic card/cash/compass and
map.

Open Location Code and MapCode present better solutions. Both are visibly