Re: Errors in Geolocation Rec

Some comments inline. Thanks for working through these Dominique.

/m

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>wrote:

> Hi Ms2ger,
>
> Quoting from
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/2012Jan/0001.html
>
> > == 5.1 Geolocation interface ==
> >
> > >  [NoInterfaceObject]
> > >  interface NavigatorGeolocation {
> > >    readonly attribute Geolocation geolocation;
> > >  };
> > >
> > >  Navigator implements NavigatorGeolocation;
> >
> > would be better written as
> >
> > partial Navigator {
> >    readonly attribute Geolocation geolocation;
> > };
>
> Can you clarify what this would be better? I've seen both approaches
> used, and I am unclear which one is more appropriate here.

It seems effectively the same thing, expressed more succinctly. If that's
not correct, I'd love to hear the details. Fwiw, partial interfaces seem
like the more recent syntax.

> [...]
>
> I'm putting this in my proposed errata for the spec [1].
>
> > Also, the IDL snippets still use the 'in' keyword for method
> > parameters—this keyword has been removed from the WebIDL spec, as it was
> > useless.
>
> These had been removed.
>
> > The Geolocation interface should not have [NoInterfaceObject].
>
> Noted in the errata.
>
> > PositionCallback and PositionErrorCallback should use the new callback
> > syntax, that is:
> >
> > > callback interface PositionCallback {
> > >   void handleEvent(in Position position);
> > > };
> > >
> > > callback interface PositionErrorCallback {
> > >   void handleEvent(in PositionError error);
> > > };
>
> These ones had been handled.
>
> > > The implementation of the getCurrentPosition method should execute
> > > the following set of steps:
> >
> > s/should/must/
>
> Noted in the proposed errata.
>
> > PositionOptions should use the dictionary support in WebIDL, and the
> > default values should probably be specified in the IDL.
> > With that change, I believe the pre-processing steps in the
> > getCurrentPosition and watchPosition algorithms can go. Note that
>
> Noted in the proposed errata; I assume that to remove the pre-processing
> steps of "timeout" and "maximumAge", in particular converting negative
> values to zero, these dictionary members would need to be annotated with
> [Clamp]; I'm not sure how to deal with the inconsistency between the
> type "long" and the possible Infinity values, though:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/2014Feb/0001.html
>
> > > If successCallback is the null value, then throw a TypeError.
> >
> > isn't necessary; passing null to a 'PositionCallback' argument is
> > rejected in WebIDL. In order to allow null, one needs to write
> > 'PositionCallback?'.
>
> This had been taken care of.
>
> > > The implementation of the watch process should execute the following
> > > set of steps:
> >
> > s/should/must/, again.
>
> Noted in the errata.
>
> > > In step 5.2.2 of the watch process, the successCallback is only
> > > invoked when a new position is obtained and this position differs
> > > signifficantly
> >
> > s/signifficantly/significantly/, and don't forget to update the step
> > number. (A link would perhaps be appropriate.)
>
> I believe this had to be taken care of as well.
> >
> > == 5.2 PositionOptions interface ==
> >
> > As noted, this should use a dictionary. The paragraphs starting "In
> > ECMAScript, …" can probably go away or should be made more obviously
> > non-normative, as well as all the text about default values. (In fact,
> > is anything in this paragraph actually normative?)
>
> Noted in the errata.
>
> > == 5.3 Position interface ==
> >
> > Again, no point in [NoInterfaceObject].
>
> Shouldn't this be turned into a dictionary instead?
>
> If not, I'm not sure what value there is in exposing that interface in

As you noted, it can't be a dictionary. But I have the same question: why
expose it in the global namespace?