Re: GeoLocation API: 1. Source type of information / 2. Information from specific source type

On 12 August 2014 18:52, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org> wrote:
> To be more clear, what I meant here is more precisely that the logic which
> ends up being used to actually choose which sources (GPS, Wifi, whatever)
> for determining the location is sometimes (often?) logic down in the
> chipset -- through a location function of the chipset that even down that
> level abstracts away which particular means of determining the location are
> used (similar to the way the Geolocation API abstracts it out way higher up
> at the Web API level) (Of course after that the actual means the device
> uses for doing a location query is through some hardware on the device.)

This is entirely true.  A few years ago, while working on systems that
did this, hybrid trilateration was what I was working on, taking
measurement data from multiple sources to create a single value.  This
is now commonplace, so reporting that you have a mix of GPS, ground
elevation model, radio timing and a bunch of other things is only
useful in the narrowest use cases that really belong elsewhere.

This is an old decision that the previous incarnation of this working
group made, and they made the right choice here.