Re: Question on current version of the geolocation spec

* Philip Gladstone wrote:
>When looking through the proposed recommendation, I was puzzled by the
>fact that section 4.2 is normative. Since all the requirements to 4.2
>apply to the *recipient* of the geolocation information, and not to the
>implementation, doesn't this make it impossible for any vendor to
>produce a conformant implementation of the geolocation API in a browser
>(as they cannot assure that the resulting system will be in accordance
>with 4.2)?

As you say, they apply to the recipient, and there is no requirement for
the API implementation to enforce behavior of recipients. When you have
a network protocol specification and say "recipients must" then you also
would not worry about senders being non-compliant because they do not
enforce recipient behavior, unless that is somehow explicitly required,
like e.g., "sender must terminate the connection unless recipient ...".
Implementers of the API only have to conform to requirements that apply
to implementations for their implementations to conform.