Re: revoking permission after granting permission

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:08:38 +0100
To: "Steve Block" <steveblock@google.com>
Cc: public-geolocation@w3.org
On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:51:35 +0100, Steve Block <steveblock@google.com>

>>> That is already the case.
>> Not if the user first allows and then changes his mind and denies.
> The spec certainly intends to stipulate at most one callback. As I
> mentioned, the algorithm in the spec has no concept of permission
> 'state', only of requesting permission from the user, so there can be
> no 'change of mind' for a single call to getCurrentPosition() or
> watchPosition(). If you think the spec needs clarification, please
> propose some improved wording.

In Opera, the user can change his mind. (Firefox also has UI to change the
permission to deny, although I haven't tested its behavior.)

I think the spec should be changed to allow UAs to allow users to change
their minds, and when they change to deny, the behavior should be as

For getCurrentPosition, if no callback has been invoked yet, invoke the
error callback with PERMISSION_DENIED and stop the algorithm (don't invoke
success). If success has already been invoked, do nothing.

For watchPosition, if the algorithm is running, invoke the error callback
with PERMISSION_DENIED and stop the algorithm.

Simon Pieters
Opera Software