Re: axes and normalization of orientation events

Regarding the location of the origin, its good that the spec already requires the same origin for the rotation and acceleration axis.
With gyros and accelerometers in the same small package, this is easy to accomplish.

With rotation, acceleration will be different at different points in the device.
Knowing the relation between rotation and acceleration is important for dynamics.  Coincident origin is best.
For purely translational motion, acceleration will be the same everywhere and rotation will be zero everywhere.
For some motions that include rotation, linear acceleration will be zero at a point but non-zero everywhere else.

Specifying the rotation and acceleration origins to be coincident is important to the inertial navigation use case.
It would be best to specify the rotation and acceleration axis origin to be at the center of mass of the device.
Not sure if that is common practice now.

It's recognized that NED was considered and rejected by the editors in lieu of ENU.
To avoid mistakes in use with maps, it was important to include the comment: "...alpha is in the opposite sense to a compass heading."
To avoid mistakes in inertial navigation uses, it would be important to add a comment that "the angles do not match roll-pitch-yaw."

Summary of recommendations:
- retain approach of common origin for rotation and acceleration.
- add that the origin of the device coordinate frame is to be at the center of mass of the device.
- add a comment that "the angles do not match roll-pitch-yaw."

George