RE: Geolocation provide API

On 2010-11-18 at 11:23:46, Doug Turner wrote:
> Recall, the basic idea is to allow sites to set
> up their own location provider so that places like universities,
> hospitals, can provide wifi positioning inside of their campuses.

That's an admirable goal.  I'm interested in how you reached the conclusion that Geolocation API changes are part of the solution.  That's not a conclusion that I would have reached.

It helps to examine the reasons that a locally operator provider is useful.  Is it accuracy alone that you care about?  Is it the case that the local provider is better capable of providing more accurate location?

If that's the case, then provider selection is still better handled by something other than the site serving pages.  For instance, you could configure multiple providers in the browser.  If the global provider indicates a location within a campus, the browser could activate the more accurate provider for that campus.

By the same token, you could use automatically discovered network services (i.e., RFC5985/5986).

--Martin