Re: enableHighAccuracy as a privacy feature

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:08:00 +0100
To: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
Cc: Lars Erik Bolstad <lbolstad@opera.com>, Matt Womer <mdw@w3.org>, Aaron Boodman <aa@google.com>, Doug Turner <dougt@dougt.org>, "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>, public-geolocation <public-geolocation@w3.org>
Le vendredi 26 mars 2010 à 15:06 +0000, Andrei Popescu a écrit :
> - this attribute has always been about saving power, not about
> accuracy. The assumption was that the more power a sensor consumes,
> the more accurate it is.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/2009Mar/0160.html
(last linked message from
http://www.w3.org/2008/geolocation/track/issues/6) says:
        "The main reason why it exists is to allow Web developers to say
        that their application works fine with low-accuracy position
        fixes and, therefore, the UA should not bother turning on
        location providers that consume a lot of power"

I guess my point is that if an application "works fine with low-accuracy
position fixes", then it's better not to send high-accuracy position
data, since that's a benefit for privacy.

Dom