Re: enableHighAccuracy as a privacy feature

From: Matt Womer <mdw@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:56:38 -0400
Cc: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>, public-geolocation <public-geolocation@w3.org>
To: Doug Turner <dougt@dougt.org>
Hi all,

On Mar 24, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Doug Turner wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I think that there might be many assumptions, but the one that
> stands out to me is that:
>
> the bad guys will always ask for high accuracy bit,
> the people in the "know" will do the "right thing",
> and everyone else will be confused.

This assumes the only "bad guy" is the one developing the web site.
The bad guy could be a third-party snooping on the wire.  As it
stands, the spec allows for the scenario where a web site that doesn't
require high accuracy to get high accuracy regardless.  Why send more
information than the developer indicated they required?

-Matt