Re: Geolocation and POI

Hello Lars Erik,

Thank you for your invitation to inputs on this topic.

As you may realize, AR POI involves location and device orientation as
*two* of the many possible types of metadata attributed to a point of
interest.

The "point" can and will very frequently, be an object (thing or a
person)  moving in space/without geoposition or orientation associated.
Even if the GEO WG charter were to include feature extraction
attributes, I fear that the AR community could have difficulty "seeing"
the definition of POI as their domain for contribution if it is "housed"
in the GEO WG.

My major concerns are that

(1) the AR work will be lost (not receive the attention it warrants) if
it is part of the Geo location group.

If the GEO WG scope/charter encompasses all the possible AR activity,
these will gradually become "charter" creep.

(2) people who originally chartered the GEO WG are not the best to be
implementing/writing the recommendations which need to be implemented by
the AR platform publishers.

My proposal is that there be two separate WGs within W3C and that these
have close working relationships and perhaps co-locate a meeting per
year, as needed/ convenient.

A separate WG will permit the charter to treat AR is a "mash up" of many
technologies. An AR WG will have the ability to establish liaisons with
many groups which includes Geo WG but others which are outside the scope
of interest of a GEO WG.

in a separate e-mail I will write up what I propose to be a starting
point for a charter.

I look forward to reading what others think/would like to have.

--
Christine

Spime Wrangler

cperey@perey.com