Privacy of Geolocation Implementations

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:48:39 +0200
To: public-geolocation@w3.org
Hi Geolocation WG,

I recently wrote a paper on the privacy of geolocation implementations
[1] for the W3C Workshop on Privacy for Advanced Web APIs.

Although it does not directly comment on the specification, it
critically evaluates the control and information available to end-users
when location services are being used.

In the paper, I look at:

* Opera (labs build)
* Firefox 3.6
* Mobile Safari
* Chrome 6

http://www.w3.org/2010/api-privacy-ws/papers/privacy-ws-21.pdf

As this is a fast moving area, the paper is already a bit out of date:
For instance, Opera addressed most of the issues raised in the paper in
the 10.6 release. And iOS4 added an indicator for geolocation. Also,
during my analysis of Mobile Safari, I missed that there was a way to
reset location based services for all applications.

Anyway, hopefully you will find the paper of some use.

Kind regards,
Marcos

[1] http://www.w3.org/2010/api-privacy-ws/

--