Re: Orientation event draft

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:16:08 +0300
To: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
CC: Steve Block <steveblock@google.com>, public-geolocation <public-geolocation@w3.org>, dougt@dougt.org
On 4/22/10 12:53 PM, Andrei Popescu wrote:

>>> There is precedent for this in the Geolocation spec.
>>

>> Sounds like a bug in Geolocation draft, IMO
>> If the value isn't available, implementation could throw something
>> like NOT_AVAILABLE.
>>

> But then wouldn't you have to access all these properties from try /
> catch blocks? I don't think that's ideal and it's just more convenient
> to let them be null if they aren't available.

And then all the callers need to check whether the returned value is
null. And if (thevalue) isn't enough, because the value can be 0.

I don't see how it is really more convenient to make it null in some
cases. And making a double attribute null isn't something used in DOM
Core for example.
(Not all the things WebIDL specifies should be used, like PutForwards)

-Olli