Re: updated editor's draft of the Geolocation API specification

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Richard Barnes<rbarnes@bbn.com> wrote:
> It seems like there's a subtext here that "We have UAs that implement
> version $X of the spec, therefore version $X must be the final spec," even
> though there are still open issues with version $X.  While it's great that
> there are implementations, it's not so nice when implementations force
> things in or out of a consensus document.

I tend to have a more pragmatic view: I don't see what purpose does it
serve to rename / move those attributes at this point. The major
browsers already implement the old attributes so we're creating a
larger problem for developers than the one we'd solve if we changed
the spec now.

> The alternative, of course, is to explicitly agree that V1 is just going to
> be a documentation of what implementations are doing now, and reserve "what
> we really have consensus on" for V2.

Sounds reasonable to me. Nobody claims we have reached perfection, so
V2 is very much needed.

Andrei