Re: Sending commands to the User Agent

Hello,

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Michael Hedenus<hedenus@pixel.de> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I find the Geolocation API very interesting, especially for my own project
> Regensburg3D (http://www.regensburg3d.de).

Great!

> The current API description currently contains only "read"-methods, unlike
> the examples where some "command"-methods like "showMap" appear.

The examples are just meant to show a simple context where this API
can be used. The "showMap" method is not part of the API, but part of
a (fictive) application that uses the API.

> I propose to specify some methods like:
>
> * long Geolocation.markPosition(in Position position, in String label, in
> URI uri) to request the user agent to show a mark or pin at the position
> with the specified text, which may be linked to a URI.  The returned value
> is a id for the marker which can be deleted with
>
> * Geolocation.deleteMark(long id)
>
> * Geolocation.showPosition(in Position position) to request the user agent
> to show the position to the user, e.g. center the map.
>
> The user agent is free to reject the requests e.g. by making a error
> call-back.

Thanks for the proposal. The functionality that you suggest (i.e.
placing a marker on a map) is something that is specific to a client
application. It is not something that can be provided by the user
agent (which is just the runtime that hosts the application and knows
nothing about markers or where to place them).

All the best,