civic address UAs

hello doug.

Doug Turner wrote:
> Do you have any examples of what your are talking about?  How does a UA
> get a civic address?

it might get a civic address because it is sitting in my house and can
do its job best by providing the address. it could be my home computer
or it could be non-browser UAs such as http://www.nabaztag.com/ or
http://www.chumby.com/ or more generally, what i like to call the "web
of things". it could be my car that has a UA that is not authorized to
use lat/long, because i don't want to broadcast my exact position, but
it does expose my home address and my office address as civic addresses.

of course, these examples are a bit futuristic, but that's what i wanted
to point out: while it is important to go for the low-hanging fruit and
work on something small that will have immediate impact (such as the
lat/long API), i am also convinced that we should try to have some
vision on how the web will and should develop.

> btw, i am perfectly happy, if it isn't clear, scoping the first version
> of our specification to just deal with lat/long information on the web.

that would be great. i think even though it would be a small thing, it
would send a very important message: this is just a first and limited
step, and we are aware of the fact that this is not fully covering the
concepts of geolocation on the web.

thanks and cheers,

dret.