Re: DOM based API

hello.

i guess i am missing some context here. where did that discussion start?
i can't remember seeing it on the public-geolocation list, but i
probably just missed it.

Mark Baker wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>> If anyone
>> wants to volunteer to write a spec to define a markup language, I think
>> that would be great. A good place to put it would be:
>>   http://dev.w3.org/geo/ml/
>> Alternatively, we could reuse the geo Microformat as the markup language.
> Good idea.  It's a start.

there also is/was
https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-daviel-html-geo-tag/ which is
dead now, but not for a long time. it has been around for a while, but
never made to a standardized format. the last version was -09, i think.

repeating my appeal for a well-defined position model
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/2008Jun/0093.html),
i think it would be a really good idea to have a position model that is
consistent across embodiments in various technologies (such as a DOM API
or an HTML version or a URI or HTTP headers).

i know that this somehow contradicts the major goal of the geolocation
WG to get something out of the door quickly. but i also think for that
"something" (the DOM API) to be well-designed, it needs to have a
well-designed position model anyway, so why not just do it once and in a
way that is reusable across specifications?

cheers,

dret.