Re: skeleton Geolocation API

Hellos,

Having just finished making the argument against including any kind of
reverse geocoding in the API I will dodge to the left long enough to
suggest adding something like "context" and "context identifier"
attributes to the Position object.

For the sake of argument, the default context could be assumed to be a
WSG84 URI and sorting out what anything else actually *means* is left to
individual developers. (Maybe of handful of known-knowns to deal with
situations where WSG84 is known-known to cause problems, too...)

At a minimum, that would allow people to identify what system is being
used for Plain Old Points (tm) and in the hand-waving future leave some
wiggle room for the kinds of things that Erik mentions and stuff no one
has imagined yet.

For example :

'context' : 'x-urn:wsg84:pos:',

'id' : '41.370594,2.149999',

'latitude' : 41.370594,

'longitude' : 2.149999,

--

'context' : 'http://ws.geonames.org/rdf?geonameId=',

'id' : 6544104,  # Barcelona

'latitude' : 41.370594,

'longitude' : 2.149999,

--

'context' : 'http://ws.geonames.org/rdf?geonameId=',

'id' : 3116282, # Montjuic
'latitude' : 41.370594,

'longitude' : 2.149999,

--

'context' : 'http://where.yahooapis.com/v1/place/',

'id' : 753692,

'latitude' : 41.370594,

'longitude' : 2.149999,

--

'context' : 'http://www.flickr.com/places/',

'id' : 'Spain/Catalonia/Barcelona',

'latitude' : 41.370594,

'longitude' : 2.149999,

--

'context' : 'x-urn:flickr:photos:',

'id' : 2561027599,

'latitude' : 41.370594,

'longitude' : 2.149999,

--

'context' : 'http://www.dopplr.com/place/',
'id' : 'es/barcelona',

'longitude' : 2.149999,

--

# I don't actually think this is what Mikel
# had in mind but you get the idea...

'context' : 'x-urn:geotime:',
'id' : '41.370594,2.149999 14:23:44 GMT',

'latitude' : 41.370594,

'longitude' : 2.149999,

--

Granted, these examples could all play reverse geocoding on TV but
that's just my bias these days.

The point is to have some sort of extra hook to pivot off of because, as
Erik points out, people's concept of "place" is a whole lot mushier than
a simple coordinate.

Cheers,