Re: skeleton Geolocation API

From: Kartikaya Gupta <lists.geolocation@stakface.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 23:36:56 +0000
To: "Andrei Popescu" <andreip@google.com>
Cc: public-geolocation@w3c.org

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:15:16 +0100, "Andrei Popescu" <andreip@google.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Chris Butler <cbutler@dash.net> wrote:
> >
> > One more request for the position is to have a heading vector
> > potentially with estimated speed.
> >

> Nice idea. I think many implementations will not support these but
> it's probably worth having them in the spec. What do other people
> think?

Sounds like a good idea.

Also, I'm not sure how many people are familiar with JSR179, which adds a Location API to J2ME/CLDC1.1. It's probably worth taking a look at if you haven't. There's javadoc for it online at http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~czhou/docs/jsr179/lapi/ among other places.

Note that they have the concept of a "Landmark" which provides a mapping between a name and a coordinate set (and optionally an "AddressInfo"). They also have a "Criteria" object which allows for much more granular control over what the device should and shouldn't do when trying to obtain a location. It seems like a bit of overkill on that one, but I guess they figured better safe than sorry :)

kats