Re: skeleton Geolocation API

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> i still think that http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html#position is
> just too limited in its model of location. a location can be a lat/long pair
> of coordinates, but it also can be something else, like the identification
> of a city or a state or some other place-oriented location concept.

I'm not sure how this would work.

We are trying to implement a way for web applications to get the
current position of the user. Having the user actually specify this
seems useful to some subset of users, but having it be automatic seems
better for most users.

Automatically generating a URI like this seems like it would be a lot
of work, and greatly increase the specification size. And it probably
requires reverse geocoding. And I don't see that it buys any
additional privacy over just chopping digits off the coordinates.

- a