Re: The Geolocation API must provide location data in terms of a pair of latitude and longitude coordinates.

From: Matt Womer <mdw@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:39:46 -0400
To: public-geolocation@w3.org

Hi all,

On Jun 25, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Erik Wilde wrote:

> ...and please forgive me if i am not entirely correct in what i am
> saying, i am not a GIS person. over the last year i have at least
> learned that location is a more complex concept than i first thought
> it would be.

I'm glad to see these issues coming up.  I'm hoping some of our
geospatial technology experts will chime in here and give us some
guidance.  From past experience, things like the grid systems used in
some countries, and the ellipsoidal coordinate systems used in others
make interchange difficult when not knowing what each part of the
system expects for a datum.

(Similarly for timestamps, it should be noted that GPS time is not
quite UTC.)

-Matt