Re: Privacy in the Geolocation Spec

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Alec Berntson wrote:

> I'd like to see some requirements around privacy. I agree that the W3C
> spec should not define the UI constraints for privacy, however I think
> the following guidelines should be present
>

> * The Geolocation API must not allow an application access to location
> data without user permission
>
> * The Geolocation API must allow the user to disable access to location
> data at any point

I would be fine with these being SHOULDs, but if we make them MUSTs then
we are saying that, e.g., a semi automated Web browser that uses crowd
movements in Times Square to decide what page to navigate to would have to
have some sort of special button somewhere to control the Geolocation API,
which seems somewhat silly.