Re: Geolocation API

From: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:22:14 +0100
To: "Alec Berntson" <alecb@windows.microsoft.com>
Cc: "Shyam Habarakada" <shyamh@microsoft.com>, "public-geolocation@w3c.org" <public-geolocation@w3c.org>

Alec, I also have some questions about your API suggestions:

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Alec Berntson
<alecb@windows.microsoft.com> wrote:
> interface Geolocation {
>   // Last known position, or null if there is no last known position.
>   readonly LocationReport lastLocation;
>
>   // Get the current position.
>   // The callback function will be called with the result.
>   ReportStatus getLocation(        LocationCallback locationCallback,
>                                    optional ReportOptions options);
>
>   // Watch the current position over time.
>   // The callback function will be called with the result.
>   int listenForReports(   LocationCallback locationCallback,
>                           StatusCallback statusCallback,
>                           optional ReportOptions options);
>
>   // Get the report generation status
>   ReportStatus getReportStatus();

Your changes seem to suggest that you'd want the statusCallback to be
called periodically, whenever there is a transition between the
possible states of ReportStatus, right? First of all, what use cases
did you have in mind for that (I intend to publish a new draft
tomorrow with some more use cases) ? Then, why would getReportStatus()
be needed? If I understand this right, this function cannot possibly
return any new status information, since the statusCallback must have
been already invoked if a status transition occurred. Also, exactly
which ReportStatus would this function return (assuming one may have
issued several calls to getLocation / listenForReports)?