Re: DOM based API

Hi, Mark-

Mark Baker wrote (on 6/9/08 3:48 PM):
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Dave Burke <daveburke@google.com> wrote:
>> Interchange of location information is an interesting topic in itself but is
>> orthogonal to the problem of exposing location information to the browser.
>> We need to solve the latter first, and hence IMHO this should be the
>> priority.
>
> It's not necessarily orthogonal, as I think I've clearly demonstrated.

I think it is orthogonal.  I suspect the highest demand for the
immediate future will be a simple API that does not necessarily
correspond to a document.  I've tried to think of use cases that would
need a document, and the only thing that came to mind was a mechanism
for declarative syntax; I like that idea, but don't think it's critical
for the first round of implementation.

Note that even if we make an API and it is widely deployed and used,
that does not negate the idea of, or limit the options for, a next-gen
geolocation format with its own API, which can learn from the first API.
  They will be interfaces on different objects, I'd expect, and so they
wouldn't conflict, right?

So, I strongly agree that we should put a priority on a script-based API
as a first deliverable.  How that API is developed may take into
consideration the needs and options for a document format, of course,
assuming that doesn't impede progress.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI