Re: Geolocation: Security and Privacy

From: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 06:41:35 +0300
To: "public-geolocation@w3.org" <public-geolocation@w3.org>

I think that start is fairly insufficient.

I'm looking for a suggestion where the user can specify a location or path that they want to be seen as taking.

if I'm talking to a dining aware site, i want to be able to say "I'm walking around downtown Vancouver" even though I'm on some other continent (I am, but I will be in Vancouver, so this is a perfectly reasonable thing for me to want to do).

I've played with this problem for a while now and concluded that simply offering an alternate location isn't helpful as sites or other observers will conclude it's phony. Users can of course pick a stationary path which would be equivalent to a fixed location, but it should be available from a path option.

I think your definition for "opt-out" is confusing. "out by default; requires opt in"

UI alert should probably be suggested as an indicator "this site could personalize itself if you gave it a location" with an indication of what location you're giving it or gave it last time.
My experience w/ UI "designers" in certain areas leads me to believe that some groups will treat "alert" as a real modal dialog. - Something I'd like to avoid.

The data fuzzing and logging bits seem OK

==
fwiw, i personally would prefer to stick page access to the location under the navigator object.