Re: Remarks on GeoLocation Spec

Hi, Doug-

Doug Turner wrote (on 7/9/08 9:06 PM):

> Keeping it milliseconds matches the timestamp of the mouse event:
>
> timeStamp of type DOMTimeStamp, readonly
>     Used to specify the time (in milliseconds relative to the epoch) at
> which the event was created. Due to the fact that some systems may not
> provide this information the value of timeStamp may be not available for
> all events. When not available, a value of 0 will be returned. Examples
> of epoch time are the time of the system start or 0:0:0 UTC 1st January
> 1970.
>
> I think we should be consistent here.

I agree that consistency is a good general goal, but only when the
conditions and needs are the same.  It's unlikely that an author will
need to use the same code for mouse event timestamps as for a date of a
geolocation timestamp, which seems like it would benefit from more
precision.

This being a geolocation API introduces both an opportunity and an
obligation to deal with dates in a sophisticated manner.  DOMTimeStamp
is simply not as expressive as xs:dateTime.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, WebApps, SVG, and CDF