Re: Orientation lock still needed?

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Vincent Scheib <scheib@google.com> wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/2011/09/games/#orientation called for a way to lock the
> layout orientation on devices such as phones that can be rotated and would
> normally re-flow the page.

You should note, we did not confirm the API suggestion at our second event:
https://docs.google.com/a/bocoup.com/document/pub?id=1fs1hpZvP05ViEWtaLSmNQUV_PW2jCWS5Oe2GAdBKgl0#h.qqs7z5r08h55

We merely said we wanted a mechanism for locking the default
rotate/reflow behavior.

> Is this still needed? Is it addressed by the viewport meta tag?
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Mobile/Using_the_viewport_meta_tag_to_improve_the_mobile_browsing_experience
>

> (I'm looking to update the chrome bug
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=90413)

It seems like the viewport tag has stabilized, and the common rhetoric
seems to be, add it, and the scripters will build libs on it, and then when
we know what we like, it will get specified. I can live with that.

At the same time a JavaScript interface would be nice.
document.querySelector("meta[name=viewport]") is lame.

Some consistency with
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/API/Mouse_Lock_API(I'm assuming the
MDN docs match chrome's implementation which I haven't
looked at yet).

Also, Vincent and Dmose, way to kick off 2012 with some AWESOME movement on
the games group wish list. Please accept our high virtual fives, and send
them to your colleagues. You all rock!

--
Boaz Sender