Re: [css-transforms] CSS3D breaks with opacity flattening

> Authors can work around this by applying opacity on their leaf elements
individually, or by using rgba() colors etc.

That's not a valid workaround because in many cases there needs to be
opacity on parent elements.

For example, imagine a game object which is a vehicle. The parent contains
sub children positioned relatively to the parent (using tranforms) in order
to place the doors, wheels, and body of the vehicle (maybe it is a truck,
car, or motorcycle). Now, imagine in this game that the cars are alive
(like in the movie "Cars", and one of them is a ghost. To achieve this, we
apply an opacity to the parent element, which makes the whole car
transparent. Or, imagine that there is a "ghost" car in a racing game in
order to show where you were during your last attempt, so that you can
attempt to beat your last time. We apply opacity to the whole car, and
expect for thecar to remain 3D, not be flattened.

In cases like with the car examples, we cannot simply apply opacity to
leaf-most elements. Furthermore, rgba() colors apply only to things like
background, border, text colors, etc, but not to the whole element, so
that's not a workaround.

The only workaround is to NOT use nested elements, but that prohibits the
use of CSS transform caching that we get with the nested approach. It is
imperative that the nested approach works along with opacity without
flattening, otherwise this change is detrimental to 3D in the web, and is
completely unintuitive. Making a 3D object flat because it has opacity
simply does not make sense (it doesn't matter if that's what spec says).

For reference, the "nested" approach is the form of CSS3D that IE10/11 does
not support, with preserve-3d.

Grouping is fine, as it makes much sense for all children to inherit the
opacity level and have it multiplied with their own opacity (just like how
positional transformations work), but additional flattening is simply not a
good design choice.

Please consider modifying the spec so that opacity does not destroy 3D
scenes. Also please consider the same for mix-blend-mode, and similar
effects.

Best regards,
- Joe

*/#!/*JoePea