Re: [css-animations][web-animations] steps() timing function sometimes unintuitive

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 9:42 PM, Rachel Nabors <rachelnabors@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm on the road right now so replies are slow! The animation slack has a
> WAAPI and CSS channel this discussion is perfect for.
>
> As for why "discrete" isn't working for me: it's an general adjective that
> doesn't describe what the action is so much as color it with personality. It
> had to be tacked onto "steps" to make sense. You could remove the word from
> the sentence and the behavior is still perfectly described. It could
> literally be any adjective: polite, judicious, egalitarian. Discrete means
> subtle or out of the way. Steps are steps. They don't have any of the
> qualities these adjectives suggest (unless we include "useful" ;),
> especially if you think about how this would read to someone whose second
> language is English.
>
> I'm sure we can find a succinct word. What is the opposite of continual?
> Besides "staggered" ;) I'll start: divided, consecutive.

Oh! You're thinking of "discreet"! That's a very different word from
"discrete", which is the antonym of "continuous". ^_^

That said, the confusion coming from a near-homograph is a good reason
to downvote "discrete".

~TJ