Re: [geometry] DOMMatrix: Why degrees instead of radians for rotation?

The use of degrees as angles is a legacy of the original SVG specifications
(which the DOM Geometry specs are backwards-compatible with).  In
particular, many of the DOMMatrix methods have equivalents in the old
SVGMatrix interface:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/coords.html#InterfaceSVGMatrix

The SVG methods used degrees in part to be consistent with the SVG markup.
I don't know all the reasons behind the original decision to use degrees
instead of radians in the markup, but I do know it would have required much
more complicated parsing rules to allow authors to precisely express angles
such as π/4 in radians.

There may also the benefit of reducing the impact of rounding errors in
common cases such as four right-angle rotations always exactly equalling a
full rotation.  But I agree that it is unfortunate when the JavaScript
trigonometry functions all use radians, and authors will often need a
simple conversion function.

~ABR