Re: [filter-effects] proposal: currentColor in feColorMatrix

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 10:16:13 +0000
To: Benjamin Denckla <bdenckla@alum.mit.edu>
CC: "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>
Hi Benjamin,

On Oct 7, 2014, at 9:28 PM, Benjamin Denckla <bdenckla@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> I would like to create a filter similar to the grayscale and sepia canned effects, but using currentColor.
>
> To do this, it would seem I would need to somehow use the currentColor CSS variable in the feColorMatrix describing the filter.
>
> I may be missing something, but I don't see how I could do that, using the current spec.
>
> The need for this feature is described in more detail here:
>
> http://dencklatronic.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-web-needs-bitonal-images.html
>
> Thank you.

I looked at your article and it is not entirely clear what effect you are after. You say bitonal image, but the description sounds more like a gradient map with two color stops.

Alan Greenblatt wrote a little tool that created this kind of effect that is well known from Photoshop: http://blattchat.com/tag/gradient-maps/

He describes it in the following article as well: http://blogs.adobe.com/webplatform/2013/08/06/gradientmaps-js-gradient-maps-for-html/

The little Codepen demo in the second article even lets you define the gradient map with CSS gradient syntax yourself. Is it that what you are after?

Greetings,
Dirk