Re: [css-masking] draft from 2014-05-22: path d value in example 5 and related issues

On Jul 3, 2014, at 5:44 PM, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> concerning EXAMPLE5 in the draft I wanted to note, that SVG requires paths to
> start with a moveto command, SVG 1.1, 8.3.2:
> 'A path data segment (if there is one) must begin with a "moveto" command.'
>
> Due to the text previous to the example, it is not obvious, what exactly is
> intended by the example:
> 'If the URI reference is not valid (e.g it points to an object that doesn’t
> exist or the object is not a <clipPath> element), no clipping is applied.'
>
> In EXAMPLE5 the URI might be ok, but the path data is not, therefore
> the example does not really fit to the text before.
> Does is provide another option on how to generate not applicable clipping
> paths?
> Maybe necessary to add some text before the examples like
> 'Examples how to apply clip-path in CSS, respectively in SVG'.
> Or if this is really intended:
> 'Examples for not applicable clipping path notations'.
>
> If it is intended to provide an example with an invalid URI reference,
> this should be a complete example to demonstrate the issue in
> a meaningful way.
>
> Additionally, in EXAMPLE5 it is not obvious, whether or how the
> part looking like SVG is related to SVG (namespace missing) and
> how the initial 'clip-path: url("#clip1");' is related to the following
> <svg>...</svg>
> The first part looks similar to CSS syntax, the rest like XML.
>
> I think, the EXAMPLE5 needs to be fixed and completed to
> something  clearly better than arbitrary tag soup and the
> text before and the EXAMPLE5 should be aligned to have an
> obvious relation to each other.
> For example put a namespace to a root svg element, add
> title element etc, put a style element and the clipPath element in the
> defs element of the root svg element, apply the styling somehow to
> a presented content.
>
> Additionally EXAMPLE4 seems to have no URI reference at all,
> therefore not obvious, how this is related to the previous text.

These are examples for the use of the 'clip-path' property in general — not specifically for invalid URLs.

I added informative text that explains the intention of example 4 and 5 as well as a note about the expected visual result of the clipping paths.

The SVG snippet of example 5 was indeed not correct. It shouldn’t be <path d=“…”/> but <polygon points=“…”/> instead. I fixed the example.

Thank you for noting the issues.

Greetings,
Dirk