Re: fill and stroke properties with CSS <image> values

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 6:55 AM, David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> By the same token one could fill a pentagon with a gradual blend
> transitioning from one bitmap to another by overlaying one image on another
> using a mask and then clipping the result via a shape. Semantically, it
> might really be that the shape is pre-eminent and that allowing the stops of
> a gradient to be able to be filled with images would be more semantically
> accurate. While we are at it, can we have that too?
>
> <linearGradient>
> <stop offset="0" stop-color="url(image1)"/>
> <stop offset="1" stop-color=" url(image2)"/>
> </linearGradient>

Gradients, while 2-dimensional, have a 1-d data model - they're colors
(0d) painted on a line, which extend from the line perpendicularly to
fill the plane.  (Or, for radial gradients, extend from it and loop
around in an ellipse.)

As such, painting images in a gradient doesn't make much sense, since
images are 2d to start with.

I suppose you could think of it as painting the line (and the extended
perpendicular) with the corresponding pixels from the image blended
with the given amount of progress, but that's reaching a bit.

~TJ